Medical Board Closes Investigation of Abortion Performed without Consent

Pro-life Ohioans Call for Action

 


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE       CONTACT: Katherine Franklin
DATE: Tuesday, November 22, 2016     PHONE: 614-547-0099 ext. 304


COLUMBUS, Ohio—Today, Dayton Right to Life and Ohio Right to Life called for action from the State Medical Board of Ohio in the case of an abortion that was performed without a woman’s consent at a Dayton abortion facility last year. In August 2016, Paul Coudron, executive director of Dayton Right to Life, filed a complaint with the State Medical Board, calling for an investigation of the abortionists at the facility, Women’s Med Center (WMC). Last week, Coudron received confirmation from the State Medical Board that the case is closed.

"We are calling on the State Medical Board to take action to right this wrong," said Paul Coudron, executive director of Dayton Right to Life. "A woman could not walk, hold a conversation or keep her eyes open—yet they aborted her child anyway. By the staff’s own admission, these were all signs of recreational drug use. The State Medical Board has two ethical choices: to disclose to the public their investigative record or to re-open the investigation." 

During the press conference, Dayton Right to Life also produced a letter from the president of Miami Valley Hospital, which WMC consulted by phone during the June 2015 incident. The letter states that based on the June 2015 incident, the hospital will not be working with the facility in the future:

“All the physicians interviewed indicated that they would NEVER make a recommendation to initiate a procedure on a patient that they were not able to evaluate in person. For the avoidance of doubt and confusion, Dr. Belcastro requested and advised them NOT to give medical advice to anyone from this clinic in the future.”

The Ohio Department of Health has already investigated the facility and produced a statement of deficiencies, citing the facility for violating Ohio Administrative Code 3701-83-07 (A)(2), which states, "Each patient shall be allowed to refuse or withdraw consent for treatment." No corrective action was given.

"The Medical Board’s apparent indifference to the importance of informed consent threatens the practice of ethical medicine in Ohio," said Devin Scribner, executive director of Ohio Right to Life. "The women of Dayton deserve to know why no action—not even a reprimand—has been taken by the one institution whose job is to protect the public. We respectfully demand action on this case and ask that it not be ignored any longer. "

Unrelated to this incident, the Ohio Department of Health revoked the facility’s license last fall for failure to provide sufficient 24/7 backup care to patients. WMC requested a hearing to challenge the decision. In September, the hearing examiner for the department recommended the revocation of the facility’s license. The decision is now left to Rick Hodges, director of the Department of Health.

To view Dayton Right to Life’s complaint to the State Medical Board, click here.
To view Miami Valley Hospital’s letter to Dayton Right to Life, click here.

Click here to read the Columbus Dispatch’s Aug. 10 editorial on the case.

Founded in 1967, Ohio Right to Life, with more than 45 chapters and local affiliates, is Ohio's oldest and largest grassroots pro-life organization. Recognized as the flagship of the pro-life movement in Ohio, ORTL works through legislation and education to promote and defend innocent human life from conception to natural death. 

###


Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • published this page in Press Releases 2016-11-22 11:10:04 -0500

Volunteer

Sign Up

Vote Pro-Life

The Guide

Save A Life

Contribute

Abortion Trafficking Prevention Act

H.B. 149